Monday, September 27, 2021

MeatRetreat and Distro Selection

Just spent the past four days with my buddies out in West Virginia. We all met at a cabin and essentially disconnected from cell service and the Internet in order to play video games and board games! The cabin was amazing and the event was awesome. 

What started out as a joke in our Discord server soon became reality. Because of the pandemic my friends and I found ourselves expanding our network of friends using Discord. Because of this I thought it would be fun to suggest maybe a retreat of some sort. This ended in laughs and fun ribbing but in the end it proved to be an awesome idea.

We played games like Dice Throne, Captain Sonar, Villagers, Magic the Gathering, Chess, Texas Hold'm. Everyone brought what they wanted to play and we gave tons of games a shot. 

However, that gave me little time for doing more research on distro selection. I did give it some thought on the way home and my course of action is going to be this:

My main PC will be Pop!_OS and my laptop that I hack around on (where this post is coming from) will be Arch Linux. I really feel that Arch is a good intermediary step to better understand the nuances with the linux environment. If the Steam Deck is really going to be all that it is sounding like it is, knowing the Arch structure and ecosystem will be important to taking full advantage of the hardware to do more than just playing Steam games!

No comments:

Post a Comment