Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Criteria

My majority personal use of Microsoft Windows is for gaming. Through the years the gaming services have become advanced, consider Steam for example. They've developed consoles leveraging Linux and tools like Wine. This leads me to believe that, if anything, I can get the core games that I enjoy working within a Linux environment, hopefully with minimal effort.

The graphics card in my computer is an NVidia card (but who's isn't amirite?) so managing the graphics card also needs to be easy. I can't have the GUI I chose suddenly bonk out on me cause of a driver update.

Finally there needs to be easy access to install software, whether from a market place or directly from a vendor. Essentially this limits me to Debian or Redhat package manager (RPM) distributions. I lean more towards Debian as its the OS I know better, the question is do I go with raw Debian or Ubuntu? Ubuntu has to be, by far, the most supported and well rounded distro I can think of. If I were to suggest to someone to try Linux, I would suggest Ubuntu. I work with Redhat at work and I've tried Arch Linux (which impressed me with its sheer speed and responsiveness on my older systems.) 

Redhat is not an option for home though considering there's a fee for service with the solution. Arch Linux is a strong possibility but there's much to take into account if I'm going to use this as my distribution. There is more work in Arch to get things up and running compared to a Debian distro, but I am going to ponder it over the next couple of days. As I said before, I was very impressed by the speed and responsiveness of Arch Linux.

No comments:

Post a Comment