Saturday, September 18, 2021

Linux Versions

In Criteria, below, I alluded to determining whether Ubuntu or Arch would be the ideal distribution  of Linux to use. In the fast few days, as I dig further into the benefits of both, I've come to realize, there is a third distro I should consider. Pop_OS is a version of Debian maintained and curated by System76. I've used this distro in the past with some work laptops and enjoyed it, however because they were work laptops, I really could not take full advantage of the OS and its market space.

Of all the distros I am most familiar with, Ubuntu is the most. I've used this distro since before release 10 and have seen it grow and mature. The primary focus of this effort for me is to be able to continue my gaming on my PC though, and the more I read, the more Pop_OS sounds positioned to support it the most "out of the box."

Some of the games I'll be evaluating in this experiment will be No Man's Sky, Magic the Gathering: Arena, and Battletech. Two of the three are available directly through Steam so we will see how they are handled with Steam's Proton overlay. Magic the Gathering: Arena or MTG Arena will be a bit more of a challenge. MTG Arena is distributed directly and will require some sort of secondary support like Wine and/or Lutris.

No comments:

Post a Comment